Welcome

"I am immortal till my work is accomplished." ~David Livingstone

Saturday, October 27, 2012

On How To Always Win (in every situation!)...

Whenever I workout, I come back sore, but better off for it. When I read the news, I come back sore...any better off?

Maybe.

Today I read about bombs in Iraq during their Eid holiday. It was the worst to read what a dad in Baghdad said: "We feel sad for the children who thought that they would spend a happy time during Eid, but instead ended up getting killed or hurt." (Al-Jazeera English)

I can't imagine... I am so thankful for the safety I enjoy in southern Ohio. While bombs rock Iraq, and storms rock the east coast of the USA, and recovery pains rock Joplin, Missouri, I am comfortable and secure. But it still hurts to hear about such tragedies. How (other than very, VERY thankful) ought I to feel?

On a clear night this week, Tim and I lay on our backs outside, singing hymns while admiring the stars. It seemed absolutely perfect! Peace was on our bit of earth. When we looked at the stars we recognized the work of a perfect Creator, and it made us sing.

When I look at current events, I see the work of a perfect Provider, and it OUGHT to make me sing.

But it doesn't.

If the point of the world is to make mankind comfortable, to bring peace, and to end world hunger, then there is absolutely nothing to rejoice in. No reason to sing. The world is a failure.

However, if the point is to glorify the perfect God Who perfectly planned the course of history to glorify Himself, then there is NO FAILURE! No way the world can be merely a bad place. No way any wrong has no purpose.

And IF that's true, then the most world-changing, destiny-fulfilling, ultimately important thing I can possibly do with my life is, like Job, cry out "Blessed be the Name of the Lord!"

And the army with that battle cry will always win!!

Enjoy your Sunday!




(photo also from Al-Jazeera)

1 comment: