Welcome

"I am immortal till my work is accomplished." ~David Livingstone

Friday, November 9, 2012

On Driving...

I put down my crochet work and lifted the camera to save what the sky looked like tonight.

Driving through fields in Indiana just before sundown was a beautiful thing. And I wondered, which devalued the day more blatantly: ignoring it, or trying to capture it?

The cars around us were full of travelers... from states near and far. And some of them from Ohio, which is home now. All of us watching the sun set, with thoughts thrown around in the silence that Indianan fields seem to require.

We were there, and in a Midwestern way, I felt I knew them.

The piles of sand near a construction site on the side of the road brought Joplin back to mind. Hard it is, this going West, but not that far.

I wondered what it felt like to live in an RV sunk deep into one square at a camp ground. To squat there, under this sky.

Or to be that man at the rest stop. Sitting, under the sky.

And that's why I liked Indiana today– it was the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment